TNA May Be Heading Down A Road But Certainly Not One That Leads To Victory

Saturday, 13 August 2011




Is this the best TNA can do? Is this why Sting decided to re-sign with TNA? I have tried very hard to be lenient with TNA this year but I really can’t hold myself back anymore. Tonight marked the end of any hopes I had about TNA ever becoming a major player in professional wrestling. Before you get on my case let me state that if you like TNA that’s fine, really it is, but you can’t deny the fact that time and time again they shoot themselves in the foot. Tonight was no different. Dixie be careful. If WCW folded a company a thousand times smaller can as well. Let us begin shall we?
The opening match did not impress me at all. I don’t like Tommy Dreamer. I never have, even in his “prime” in ECW. Bully Ray does not work as a singles competitor and the storyline with Devon has grown very thin, at least to me. In short people I hated the match and I especially detest the constant involvement of Devon’s kids. Remember when I said a good opening match had to set the mood for the rest of the night, well this match certainly did, but in the worst of ways.
If you have read my past blogs you know that I am not a big fan of woman’s wrestling. I am not sexist but the current landscape of woman’s wrestling just doesn’t get me excited. Rosita and Serita work together as a team quite fluidly, although they were off key at times tonight, sadly, I can’t say the same for Angelina and Winter. Winter is an okay worker but Angelina lacks the skills and looks to do anything for me. The end of the match seemed really labor and even the announcers seemed un-interested in the match. Plain and simple I didn’t like the match and if you did, you are a bigger man than me.
I have to comment on the Karen Angle-Jeff Jarrett vignette. I have said it once and I will say it again. TNA needs to get rid of Karen. She isn’t good looking, she isn’t entertaining, and she offers nothing to the company. I don’t know why Kurt would agree to this storyline and frankly I am disappointed that he did.
There is few things TNA can do nowadays to excite me but a Matt Morgan-Hernandez macth is one of them. I have gone on record that Matt deserves to carry the strap and I have always been a fan of Hernandez so you can imagine my high expectations but, as is customary, TNA once again disappointed me. The match was short and plain boring. No story was told and it fell flat. To add insult to injury, how are you going to end a first blood match with fake blood? It’s weak and it just shows TNA has no creativity. What was up with the awkward set up with the fan rushing into the ring? There was no explanation for it and clearly it was part of the plan. If you are going to go down that route make sure the announcers have something to say about it. Does TNA ever have a plan for finishes? Do they even care anymore? How many more chances can we give this promotion?!
My sour mood was lifted for a brief moment when I saw that the next match would be the Ultimate X Match. Kazarian and Generation Me are three of my favorite workers in wrestling today and to be honest Robbie E is starting to grow on me. The match was what I expected: fast pace with lots of spots but strangely as good as it was I couldn’t get into it. One thing that took steam out of the match was the fact that the crowd was dead for the most part. they chanted TNA a few times but we all know they chant TNA when someone performs a suplex so that isn’t saying much. I was happy with the fact that Kazarian retain the belt. I see no better fit to hold the X-Division Title and I sencirely hope Generation Me stays a tag team.
After another vignette of the Jarrett’s honeymoon which was even worse than the first one I nearly turned the television off. I was relief to see that Beer Money was up next, however, at this point I thought to myself that if an Ultimate X match wouldn’t get me into the pay per view nothing would. Well, I was right because as much as I love Beer Money I could not get over the fact they were wrestling Ink Inc. Shannon Moore has never entertain me and I have no desire to see Jesse Neal wrestle in any sort of match especially one that involves championship gold. The match was decent I will say that but nothing really stood out. In the end it was another match that will have no relevance come Thursday except maybe that they will set up a Moore-Neal feud… great.
I had to laugh when I saw Matt Hardy backstage. This guy has always thought himself  to be greater than he actually is and Ric Flair vouching for him does nothing to my perception of him, not when Flair would vouch for The Mean Street Posse if you paid him enough. In direct contrast to that you got A.J. Styles who really is phenomenal in the ring and is someone who should be in the title picture not in a feud with the “other” Hardy. The match was okay and in fact I will dare say it was good but it disturbs me that time and time again all I can come up with for my reviews about TNA matches are words like okay, decent, and good if not worse. I should be able to say more, especially with some of the talent TNA has but tell me if I am wrong in saying nothing really ever stands out. Some of the moves A.J. pulled off were really good and I was amazed when he slid down the protective rail but one move does not make a match folks and since I don’t want to sound redundant I’ll hold my tongue and say only that Matt was just Matt.
Another Karen vignette another near press of the off button on my remote. The fact that Jarrett said he was going to call a truce with Kurt actually made me press the button. So if you wonder why this blog was not up as early as my recent blogs is because I finished seeing the pay per view on the replay a few hours later.
A note to Mr. Anderson: I get it dude, you are an a-hole but you don’t have to remind us every time you talk. I will give him props for the douchebag comment which made me laugh and a take notes people because douchebags really do end dead last, Mr. Sheen I am looking at you. Sorry, just had to make that observation.
I was amused at the prospect of an Anderson-RVD match. I don’t recall seeing them in a singles match so for the first time in a long time TNA had something that felt fresh to me. Early on I got a bit worried when RVD blew the leapfrog spot but I quickly forgot about it when I heard Anderson say that he meant to do that. We all know he didn’t but I gave him a pass for acknowledging it. After the RVD spot when he hit the rail I was actually enjoying myself for the first time tonight and I was totally focused on the match. This match was really good, yes I said it. The major difference between this and the rest of the night was the fact that there was an actual story told in the match. Too bad that story ended in a double count out. I mean it was something different and it gives the viewer a reason to tune in on Thursday but I would have liked to see a conclusive ending. Best match of the night though it was way too short for my taste.
On a side note why were people in the Impact Zone chanting “We want a match” and the other half chanting “No” what kind of marks do they let in that place? Oh wait, they let anyone in don’t they?
Well my friends we have arrived to the Main Event. We all heard the rumors, you would have had to be living under a rock not to know that the internet was buzzing with the possibility of Sting going to the WWE. After seeing his match against Jeff Hardy I can’t understand why he didn’t. First of all him holding the Diva’s Title, I mean the purple TNA World Title, just seems comical. TNA needs to get rid of that thing. Second, Sting ending his career at a place that has so few people in the building is a travesty. Why not ended in Atlanta where you made yourself a household name in front of over 65,000 fans?! Finally, what the hell was the finish all about? Is that what you wanted Stinger? A company where the referee messes up the main event. I saw Hardy lift his shoulder up but for some reason the ref still counted three. Maybe it was Hardy’s fault for not kicking out with more authority but does it matter? The last two TNA pay per views have ended with botches folks! Do you think that would ever happen in WWE? No, it wouldn’t. Sting I hope you truly don’t look back later in life and wondered what would have happen if you would have sign with the WWE because as it stands now most, if not all, of wrestling fans surely will.

0 comments: