WWE Predicts – Capitol Punishment

Saturday, 13 August 2011


Sunday June 19th WWE presents Capitol Punishment from Washington DC. While not one of WWE’s top four PPVs, this one looks pretty solid. There are some interesting matches booked and most of them have been set up creatively over the past couple weeks, or more. The more I look at the matches on this card, the more excited I am to watch this show. I also hope to have a large group to hang out with in the WNW Live Blog during CP!
Ken Predicts – WWE Intercontinental Championship Match – Wade Barrett (c) vs. Ezekiel Jackson
I have liked Zeke since he came onto WWE TV in 2008. I will admit that it’s not his ring work, his ability to talk or his physique that won me over, but his smile. That big mischievous smile and sparkly eyes on someone built like that is very endearing. I understand why they added him to the Corre, but I prefer him being a face because of how mysterious he is with that smile. On the other hand, I’ve been fairly vocal about my dislike of Wade. For some reason I just don’t see it. He’s great on mic, has a solid look and isn’t bad in the ring, yet I’m still apathetic to him. I can’t say why he’s missing the mark for me, he just is, but that’s not the reason I’m picking Wade to lose this match. After Wade alienated Zeke, then lost the rest of the Corre, I think he’s without a chance. I don’t want Wade to come off weak, but he only achieved gold with the help of his boys (at Extreme Rules over Kofi, meaning he’s held the strap for 87 days, the longest of any WWE Title holder at the moment) and they’re no longer his boys. It’s because Wade has no one to cheat for him and how powerful Zeke is that I see Wade dropping the strap here. I think Zeke has proven himself to be worthy of this win and the chance to take himself to the next level.
Ken’s Predicted Winner – Ezekiel Jackson
Brooks Predicts – WWE Intercontinental Championship Match – Wade Barrett (c) vs. Ezekiel Jackson
Yawn. I’m all for a dominating face, but Jackson just hasn’t done much to impress yet. He clearly has potential, but he hasn’t done anything remarkable yet. Wade on the other hand was the biggest heel in the company this time last year. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Now with Corre out of the equation, Zeke should win this one handily. Since Zeke isn’t that over yet, I think they may keep the belt on Wade for a bit longer, but at the same time, I don’t know how Wade could win without the help of Corre. I’ll go with the safe bet and say that Zeke wins this one.
Brooks’ Predicted Winner – Ezekiel Jackson
Ken Predicts – Big Show vs. Alberto Del Rio
I am watching Smackdown as I’m typing this and I’m glad I waited. Watching Big Show in the ring with Josh, the way he was acting, his new look (the black hoodie [I want to know what size it is to be so baggy on him] and that yellow taped hand), this new intensity, this fire inside him is really interesting and exciting to see. I’m hoping they keep Big Show face as I (one of the few) enjoy the sweet yet somewhat tortured side of him. This two sided Big Show with the fans behind him, but the scary side when he ‘snaps’ is going to make for a fabulous match. That is if they actually get to a match which I have a feeling won’t happen just yet. They can’t let ADR defeat Big Show with this new side to him, but they don’t want ADR take out either. I see this match ending in DQ through either Kane trying to stop his friend, Big Show attacking before the match even starts or possibly the return of Ricardo. As I focused most of this on Big Show, I do have to say that I’m really enjoying the growth and changes in ADR even since WM – calling his best friend a dog. He’s proven over and over that he should be in high up in the WWE.
Ken’s Predicted Winner – No Contest/DQ
Brooks Predicts – Big Show vs. Alberto Del Rio
Sigh. I like The Big Show. He’s actually the only wrestler I’ve met in person, and he was really a nice guy. I just don’t like watching him wrestle, especially a quick guy like Del Rio. I could see this match going either way, but I don’t expect this feud to last too long, so I think Del Rio’s getting his comeuppance on Sunday. Show will knock that infectious smile right off Del Rio’s face and both will move on to better things. I hope.
Brooks Predicts – Big Show
Ken Predicts – CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio
I really want to be excited about this match as they’re both wonderful competitors and a lot of fun in the ring, but I’m not. I’m expecting, unless the ref in this match does something right, that Punk will not be alone out there. That leaves Rey in quite deep trouble. We saw what happened to Rey on RAW when Nexus got their hands on him. Then again, do we go by the old booking that when the face is totally beaten down on the go home show that he comes back and wins at the PPV? What about WWE still trying to make Punk happy? This could go either way and that’s why I am not sure who pick for this one. So, to make things interesting, I’m going against Brooks and picking Punk. I have purposefully not looked at his predictions so they wouldn’t shape my predictions, but I had to for this one.
Ken’s Predicted Winner – CM Punk
Brooks Predicts – CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio
This should be fun. Both of these guys are rather directionless right now, so a short-term feud revival isn’t so bad. These two always find something different and innovative during their matches, and we can expect a lot of near falls in this one. More likely than not, we’ll probably see some Nexus interference as well. Unfortunately for CM Punk, Capitol Punishment is a Pay-Per-View, which means that he’s losing. Expect to see the Nexus surround the ring and get onto the apron, a la the Straight Edge Society at WrestleMania 26, only to be taken out by Mysterio before he takes Punk out with the 619.
Brooks’ Predicted Winner – Rey Mysterio
Ken Predicts – The Miz vs. Alex Riley
While this could be Riley’s big win, I don’t see that happening yet. Riley has been easily getting the upper hand over Miz these past couple weeks, but that hasn’t been one on one in the ring. I think Miz is going to have a number of dirty tricks tucked in his knee pads, and I don’t necessarily mean physical objects. Riley is still quite a bit greener than Miz, though he’s grown in a huge way being his lackey and that could help him in this match. Riley has proven himself quite a bit the past couple weeks, but this is the test after all those quizzes. This is THE place for Riley to really prove himself. I don’t mean he needs to win this match to get to the next level, just that he has to prove that he can hold his own in the ring, hit his moves, sell Miz’s and look like a pro doing so. If Miz doesn’t he’ll look pretty weak since losing the strap, getting beaten down week after week only to lose to his protégé in the ring. I think Miz will pull this one out somehow, but not cleanly. There will be some in for Riley to come back on Monday and continue to be right up in Miz’s business. I don’t see this feud ending here.
Ken’s Predicted Winner – Miz
Brooks Predicts – The Miz vs. Alex Riley
Alex Riley seems to be the obvious choice here. He’s a new face that needs momentum. The Miz wouldn’t benefit from a win, whereas Riley would benefit hugely. Thing is, I’m seeing Miz winning. At the very least, someone’s getting disqualified. If Riley were to win, where would the story go from here? But if Miz wins, Riley can continue his pursuit for revenge, getting him more over every week. If Riley wins, I’m sure it’ll be by DQ after Miz brings a weapon into a match or won’t break a hold. But the most likely scenario is The Miz getting a sneaky win, firing Riley up even more, and keeping the feud going.
Brooks’ Predicted Winner – Miz
Ken Predicts – WWE United States Championship Match – Kofi Kingston (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler w/ Vickie Guerrero
Since I have picked Zeke to win the IC Title, to balance things out, I see Dolph winning here. Kofi is one of my favorites on all of WWE’s roster. He’s a lot of fun, interesting in the ring and fairly decent on mic, now that he’s lost the fake Jamaican accent. He always gets the crowd pumping as a fan favorite and has only held the strap for 47 days (the same length of time Cena’s held his strap and people are pushing for him to drop ASAPA), but I find him more interesting when he’s chasing a strap or opponent. Dolph, on the other hand, is back to his platinum blond and is a great heel Champion. Dolph and Vickie are wonderful at being nasty when Dolph holds gold. Then again we did see a little bit of a problem between Vickie and Dolph when Austin told Dolph he had to drop Vickie. Is there a face turn in Dolph’s future? Either way, I think it’s time to shake things up and have Dolph win over Kofi.
Ken’s Predicted Winner – Dolph Ziggler
Brooks Predicts – WWE United States Championship Match – Kofi Kingston (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler
Hey, I’ve seen this somewhere before! This feud’s been going on and off for nearly a year, and to their credit, it hasn’t become all that stale. I’d like to see both men rise out of midcard purgatory, but as long as they’re stuck there, I’m glad they’re sticking together and putting on great matches. These two guys really are the future of the company, and this is, as always, a potential match of the night candidate. Kofi never does anything with the titles he holds, so it shouldn’t be long before he drops it again, but Ziggler doesn’t have enough momentum to get it just yet. Kofi retains this time.
Brooks’ Predicted Winner – Kofi Kingston
Ken Predicts – World Heavyweight Championship Match – Randy Orton (c) vs. Christian
I was greatly against Christian dropping the strap and turning heel, but now that he has, I am reminded of just what a wonderful heel Christian can be. I can see these two going at it really hard in the ring and leaving all out there – as long as Orton really is cleared to work (as he should be). What I don’t see from this match is a clean win. I really think Sheamus will get involved in some way and cause Orton to win/retain, but leave Christian with a good reason to keep pursuing Orton and be totally cranky about it. For some reason watching Christian on Smackdown lately I keep expecting to see Trish show up at Christian’s side or DDP show up as Christian’s guru. Makes me realize how long it really has been since we’ve seen Christian as a heel in the WWE and what a great job he’s doing with it. Watching Christian chase Orton and the strap is some of the best fun I’ve seen on Smackdown recently and want to see it continue, leading up to something huge at SummerSlam.
Ken’s Predicted Winner – Randy Orton
Brooks Predicts – World Heavyweight Championship – Randy Orton (c) vs. Christian
Just when I was thinking that Christian will never have a world title again, he turns heel. On one hand, it freshens up his character and gives him a whole new slew of superstars to face. On the other hand, Smackdown is already full of main event heels, and Christian could just as easily fade into obscurity. Regardless, I imagine WWE sees Christian as a Rey Mysterio sort of character. They both got a feel-good title run due to losing a friend (Eddie’s death being much more devastating, of course), but are mostly used to put talent over and get good matches out of people. Although Christian as a heel champion would be fun in my opinion, I just don’t see it happening. The Internet will continue to herald Orton as the new “Super Cena” as he wins again.
Brooks’ Predicted Winner – Randy Orton
Ken Predicts – WWE Championship – John Cena (c) vs. R-Truth
I feel as though I’m between a rock and a hard place on this one. I really do not want to see Cena hold this strap for the entire year so he has it facing Rock at WMXXVIII, but I don’t think R-Truth is ready for it. I will completely admit that I am blown away with R-Truth’s heel turn and I will admit I didn’t think he had this in him, but that doesn’t mean he should be WWE Champion. I see this match becoming rather interesting, but sadly I see Cena retaining. There might be something strange in the ending to continue R-Truth’s conspiracy theories, keep him pushing after Cena. Maybe if R-Truth continues to prove himself he could go on to hold the strap, but I see this character too new to strap even though R-Truth has been in the industry for over ten years. Though I do have to say that I thing this character could be the one to bring R-Truth to the top.
Ken’s Predicted Winner – John Cena
Brooks Predicts – WWE Championship Match – John Cena (c) vs. R-Truth
I would’ve laughed in your face two months ago if you’d have told me this was main eventing a Pay-Per-View, but R-Truth has really impressed. Who would’ve guessed that there was actually charisma somewhere in that rapping, dancing comedy act? I still don’t like R-Truth in the ring very much, but he manages to impress with his mannerisms and mic work alone, which should lead to an interesting main event. A lot of people are automatically thinking that Cena will win since he’s keeping the title until WrestleMania, but I’d be willing to bet that he’ll drop it before WrestleMania (Heck, he might lose it by SummerSlam). He just won’t lose it here. R-Truth may be a world champion soon, but his character’s still developing, and a loss would add to the whole conspiracy angle he’s got going on. There might even be a screwy finish to further infuriate R-Truth. Either way, Cena retains.
Brooks’ Predicted Winner – John Cena
I did notice that there isn’t a Divas Title Match or Tag Team Championship Match on the card in any way. I know the Diva’s Matches are usually used for potty/beer breaks, but to me this is showing how little WWE cares about the Divas and the Teams – even though the Usos have been blazing a path through Smackdown lately and seem to be getting an interesting reaction as they’re turning face. WWE better do something with them before they get bored! I hope they’re added to this PPV at the last minute or in the pre-CP dark match.
I want to announce something new that WNW will be trying with our PPV Predicts. I want to see how you would predict WWE and Impact Wrestling PPVs. Each PPV we’ll be picking a different WNW reader to join us predicting. If you are interested, please email me (Kendra) NOT Richard, and let me know that you’re interested, which company you’d prefer predicting for (WWE or Impact Wrestling) and we’ll go from there. This is my own personal project and my contact information is easily found in the Staff Listing here on WNW.
Don’t forget to check out all the new Staff Bios posted to learn more about the crazy WNW. I hope to see everyone in the WNW Live Blog during Capitol Punishment!
KB & Brooks

0 comments: